Friday, February 06, 2015



Brandi Whitaker

Shivering, Hungry and Tearful in Rebel-Held Eastern Ukraine
This is an article that I got off The New York Times website, it was written by Rick Lyman today, February 6, 2015.  “About 200 refugees, 50 of them children, cower in the subterranean bomb shelter of a children’s arts center in Petrovsky district, on the far western edge of Donetsk. Three days earlier, a shell had exploded across from Nikita’s apartment, pitting the walls of his building, shattering windows and sending a fresh delivery of razor-sharp metal into his bedroom wall.” These two-hundred individuals were kept in very uncomfortable conditions such as cots set on top of bricks, buckets for bathrooms, and a basement to call a home. To have people placed in these harsh conditions and freezing cold in the winter is simply inhumane. Even though heat is not considered a need for human survival, living uncomfortably on a regular basis is not something that should be going on.I see what the purpose was here, but I feel like it could have been done so much better. I feel that if Ukraine wanted to protect its citizens then they could have gotten them out of the dangerous situation while at the same time placing them into better conditions. I think that this is so sad, I am glad that I did this assignment however. It really opened my eyes, it made me open my eyes a little. Even with all the complaining that I do Americans, when you really look at it don’t have it so bad afterall.

No comments: